Architect: Elisabetta Quarta Colosso, El Fil Verd estudi d’arquitectura
Architect Instagram: @elfilverd
Location: Garraf Forest, Barcelona
Engineer: Bernuz Fernández Arquitectes
Development: Alfibiocons s.l. @alfibiocons (credit)
Furnishings: Nolek Design @nolekdesign (credit)
Artwork works: Nelo Vinuesa @nelovinuesa (credit)
Pictures: Milena Villalba
Photographer Instagram: @milena_archphoto
Website space: 914 sqm
Constructing space: 180 sqm
12 months: 2020
Vitality label: A
The design of this indifferent single-family home was commissioned to us by a pair with the dream of retirement residing in the midst of nature. The positioning is characterised by a Mediterranean vegetation typical of the world and consists of olive bushes, pines, mastic bushes and palm hearts on calcareous soils.
The plot, of about 900 m2, is situated on the finish of a small urbanization on the sting of the Garraf Pure Park, on the coast south of Barcelona. A development that might enable to ponder the panorama and would entail low vitality consumption had been the primary necessities of this fee.
On the similar time, the mission introduced a number of challenges: a steeply sloping, north-facing plot, and a restricted price range.
The city planning laws place the constructed occupation within the middle of the plot, permitting to assemble as much as three ranges. The proposal interprets this provision of the planning and strategically renounces the third storey in favour of an integration with the topography and the pure surroundings.
The mission is interpreted as a chance to display that it’s potential to construct passive buildings, designed bioclimatically and constructed with wholesome supplies at an reasonably priced price.
The home was conceived with the vocation of respectfully integrating with its pure context and of being a passive constructing. Based mostly on simplicity and sustainability, the proposal gives a artistic response to the preliminary complexities.
The home is embedded within the terrain to adapt to the topography and mix into the panorama. On the similar time, it takes benefit of the bottom’s insulating energy and accompanies the pure slope by stepping the inside areas into two ranges.
The geometry of the home is defined by the aim of leaving nature because the protagonist and on the similar time providing its inhabitants a protected and welcoming house from which to ponder the panorama. The 2 arms of the constructed quantity open to the North, the mountain of Montserrat and the immensity of the pure park. The home is organized in a single quantity articulated on two flooring.
The facades dealing with the road and in the direction of the neighbours are deliberately devoid of openings. The day space and a bed room are situated on the bottom ground; on the primary ground there’s a second bed room and a big terrace with solarium and backyard. Every room in the home permits the contemplation of the forest from a distinct perspective.
The selection of supplies responds to standards of well being for individuals, respect for the surroundings and constructive and financial effectivity. For the outside partitions, aerated concrete blocks have been used as a result of their lightness and excessive insulating energy; thermo-treated pure cork panels for the outside end of the façades and their insulation to mix into the pure surroundings too.
For the inside finishes, lime and silicate paints have been utilized. The higher face of the ground slab, completed with quartz crystals, has been used as flooring. Stable pine wooden handled with pure stains has been used for the outside carpentry.
Technical explanations (bioclimatic and vegetal structure)
Earlier than the problem of reaching a passive constructing, the mission adopts a number of bioclimatic design methods that reply to an in depth research of the local weather and the topography of the positioning.
The constructing is designed by orienting it alongside the north-south axis in order that it takes full benefit of the contribution of photo voltaic radiation in winter and pure air flow is thereby more practical in summer season.
Bioclimatic methods throughout chilly months
The next methods have been adopted to warmth the constructing throughout the chilly months.
1) The South façade, in its glazed half, works as a photo voltaic heater because of the greenhouse impact. Photo voltaic radiation, which throughout these months has a diminished angle, penetrates the inside and is remodeled into warmth, growing the home’s temperature.
2) The Trombe-Mitchell partitions situated on the South wall operate as sizzling chambers that attain excessive temperatures throughout the day and switch it by convection and radiation to the home’s inside.
3) On the North face the openings have been diminished to a minimal to not affect negatively on the thermal steadiness.
4) On the coldest days, on the North facet, a high-efficiency range may be lit, which gives the required enter to realize situations of thermal consolation.
Bioclimatic methods throughout heat months
To chill the constructing throughout the heat months the next methods have been adopted:
1) The façade openings have been calculated in order that they’ll safely ventilate throughout the night time. Pure cross air flow is enhanced by the distinction in temperature that exists between the colder north façade and the hotter south façade.
2) Trombe-Mitchell partitions work as “photo voltaic chimneys;” by heating up greater than the home’s inside areas, they extract the recent air from the within, inflicting the entry of recent air from the surface.
3) The deciduous bushes planted in entrance of the South façade shield it from intense summer season photo voltaic radiation.
4) The eaves of the South façade forestall the photo voltaic rays from heating up the glazed space of the façade.
5) The pure pond situated beneath the constructing favours the air cooling and the creation of a moist microclimate.
All year long, the wonderful insulation of your complete enclosure, the high-quality carpentry and the elimination of air infiltrations handle to maintain the temperature inside the home secure.
Inexperienced areas and gray and rainwater therapy are built-in into the mission design as a part of the identical bioclimatic technique. Within the southern space of the plot, the autochthonous Mediterranean vegetation is preserved by implementing it with the planting of deciduous tree species. The intention is to guard the constructing and the Trombe partitions from photo voltaic radiation throughout summer season and permit the radiation to go by throughout winter.
Rainwater from the roofs is collected in a tank situated beneath the parking house and is used for watering the backyard and for the pure pond on the decrease finish of the positioning. The pure pond incorporates a plant filter that acts as a photo-purifier and promotes biodiversity within the native fauna.
Gray water has been separated from waste water for later recycling and restoration. The heating demand for this constructing is 5.4 KWh/m2 yr and the cooling demand 14.5 KWh/m2 yr. No energetic air con system is used, apart from the wooden range. Photovoltaic panels have been put in on the roof to cowl inside electrical wants.