An epoxy countertop equipment can remodel your present counter tops. Nevertheless, selecting one of the best countertop equipment might be tough in the event you don’t perceive how they work.
In the event you’re working with pure stone or need a excessive gloss end, there are issues you need to know beforehand that may aid you in the long term.
Right this moment, epoxy is a standard countertop paint for house renovations. It’s typically used for countertop refurbishing because it holds up towards abrasive cleaners and might be utilized for out of doors use.
What Are Epoxy Counter tops?
Recognized for its high-quality adhesive properties, epoxy resin has been utilized in numerous industries for a very long time. Epoxy resin is a flexible materials that can be utilized for numerous purposes. It contains a high-quality construction and powerful adhesion.
With quartz, granite, or laminate counter tops you should buy pre-made slabs which can be straightforward to put in. With epoxy, it really works as a refinishing substance that you just purchase as a equipment.
Folks select an epoxy countertop over with worn-out materials like wooden, ceramic, or concrete. This ends in a brilliant, excessive gloss coating that protects beneath and from abrasive cleaners. You need to use a stone coat countertop epoxy, for instance, when working with stone surfaces.
Epoxy Counter tops: Professionals And Cons
While you wish to give your kitchen a brand new vibe, epoxy is an efficient place t to start out.
- Works with quite a lot of countertop supplies. Due to the resin’s longevity, epoxy counter tops are sometimes the go-to selection for many individuals for refurbishing initiatives.
- Epoxy surfaces are straightforward to scrub. In the event you’ve determined to put in an epoxy countertop in your kitchen, you might use practically any cleansing agent on it with out concern of harming it.
- It offers a heat-resistant floor. One of many largest advantages of getting an epoxy countertop within the kitchen is its wonderful warmth resistance. The a number of layers of epoxy do an incredible job in defending your counter.
- Epoxy doesn’t pair effectively with marble or granite. Though the epoxy restoration approach might probably be used on granite and marble.
- There’s VOC launched through the curing course of. When epoxy cures, it creates a non-toxic floor that you should use to organize your meals. Nevertheless, the chemical compounds that come collectively to kind the arduous, sturdy finish outcome do embrace some risky natural compounds (referred to as VOCs).
- Getting ready the floor is time-consuming. In the event you’re decided to refurbish your counter tops utilizing epoxy, you need to first put together the floor accordingly and this course of takes up various time. To ensure that no stains stay, your counter tops might must be fastidiously sanded.
Finest Epoxy Countertop Kits
Listed here are one of the best countertop kits to your kitchen.
Giani Countertop Paint is a three-step course of that may remodel counter tops made with cultured marble, ceramic tile, Corian, Formica, laminate, and others, into a stupendous and sturdy floor. The Giani countertop paint equipment comes with all the mandatory instruments and provides to correctly coat and defend your kitchen counter tops.
This product is secure for inside use and doesn’t emit a powerful odor since there are not any VOC emissions. The equipment additionally incorporates an Epoxy Resin Topcoat product to create a stupendous end that’s proof against on a regular basis use.
- Offers a sturdy and shiny end
- Protected for inside use, very low odor, and nil VOC.
- The three-step utility transforms Formica, laminate, Corian, ceramic tile, and butcher block
- The rollers within the equipment aren’t sturdy
- Ending may flip yellow
One other product by Giani is that this countertop paint equipment that comes with a paint sponge, a foam brush, a curler arm with pads included, 16 oz. of glitter topcoat, 4 oz. of bronze mineral, 6 oz. of Black Onyx Mineral, 6 oz. of Pearl Mica Mineral, and 12 oz. of IronCore Primer-Base Coat.
Ensure you have at the very least one 2 gallon bucket earlier than you begin. This beautiful black granite accent contains a starry end and pearl flecks. There are different coloration choices to select from, together with white diamond, slate, Sicilian sand, and chocolate brown.
- Good match for funds aware DIY kitchen makeovers
- Undertaking time is 4 hours of portray and 16 hours of drying time
- Every equipment covers as much as 35 sq. ft of countertop floor space
- Troublesome to use so it seems “granite-like”
- Not as sturdy or long-lasting as different kits
Countertop Transformations is a straightforward and inexpensive approach to remodel a worn and outdated kitchen or toilet countertop. It’s a straightforward and cost-effective approach to give your counter tops a pure look. This sturdy end is not going to fade or stain. The equipment is fairly beneficiant too, because it comes with ornamental coloration chips, wetting agent, adhesive base coat, protecting topcoat, stir sticks, a diamond-embedded sanding software, and a sanding block.
The extra materials’s checklist contains easy painter’s tape, two artificial brushes, two paint trays, a foam curler, a microfiber curler, protecting sheets, and private put on, lint-free rags, one 2 gallon bucket.
- Preferrred for counter tops in kitchens and loos
- Simple to make use of for DIY initiatives
- Covers as much as 30 sq. ft or 12 linear ft
- Software that disburses the chips is just too fragile
- Base separates like oil
- Can’t be used over cracked counter tops
This explicit epoxy-based product is formulated to present a easy end and reduce bubbles. It’s ultimate to be used on wooden, bar, and tabletop surfaces. When totally cured, it creates a shiny floor that excels in sturdiness and makes your kitchen seem model new.
If there’s any leftover materials, you possibly can all the time use it in your artwork initiatives. It’s a food-safe product and delivers a self-leveling formulation that makes it very straightforward to use.
- Low odor
- Minimal bubbles, goes on easy, helps get rid of fish eyes
- Rock arduous versatility
- Resin will get scorching when mixing
- Persistent micro bublles
DIY Undertaking Concepts for Counter tops
Listed here are a couple of DIY epoxy countertop concepts:
DIY Countertop Refinishing
Refinishing your counter tops is one other good thought for these of you interested by DIY initiatives to enhance your own home. For this challenge, you’ll want in Daich Coatings Mineral Choose SpreadStone Countertop Ending Equipment, and different instruments like degreaser, a sanding block, an orbital sander, and an influence drill.
Different instruments you’ll want embrace a brush or vacuum cleaner, energy drill with a paint stirring attachment, and dirt masks.
Refinish Lavatory Self-importance High With Epoxy Resin
What if we advised you it’s attainable to remake your toilet vainness tops for simply $140 and it doesn’t take greater than 12 hours?
The challenge makes use of epoxy resin to refinish the vainness tops, as resin works with supplies like ceramic, concrete, laminate, or wooden.
Metallic Epoxy Countertop Resurfacing
Here’s a YouTube video that teaches you learn how to resurface counter tops with metallic epoxy.
Epoxy Countertop Kits
Epoxy protects your counter tops, and nearly any floor, however there are some things you need to know earlier than making use of epoxy.
Making use of Epoxy
Even when it has many alternative purposes, epoxy can be utilized to restore or defend already present surfaces. It’s appropriate to be used with all forms of laminate and composite counter tops, in addition to stone, concrete, or wooden.
Current Counter tops
Since you’ll almost definitely want to use a second coat of epoxy to your countertop, treatment time is a key situation. Speedy-drying epoxy resins might require 4 to six hours earlier than making use of a second coat. You’l wish to defend them from daylight.
DIYers will almost definitely have to attend about 3 or 4 days earlier than they’ll make the most of the countertop. Even so, consultants suggest utilizing it sparingly as a result of a full treatment may take anyplace from 7 to 30 days, relying on the substance.
UV Resistant Urethane Varnish
When totally cured, epoxy resin has a high-gloss sheen that’s proof against water, abnormal put on, cracking, and scratches. Resistance to UV radiation in sunshine varies, nonetheless, this might not be a difficulty relying on location and direct daylight.
If the countertop will probably be uncovered to pure components, you possibly can both purchase resin with UV safety or a coating of UV-resistant urethane varnish.
Epoxy resins are unhazardous however they’re not all the time FDA-recognized as meals secure. Many items do adjust to the suitable certification, so preserve this in thoughts if the deliberate utilization is for a kitchen countertop. With laminate counter tops, you’ll additionally wish to defend them from direct daylight.
Epoxy Countertop Kits
Epoxy counter tops are very proof against moisture and stains, making cleansing a breeze. When attainable, clear up spills instantly away. If a towel and heat water aren’t sufficient to erase the stains, attempt a little bit dish cleaning soap. You wish to use a white fabric when cleansing these surfaces to stop the colour of the material from transferring to the floor.
Acetone and glass cleaner can be utilized to take away extra persistent stains. Another choice is to dilute baking soda with water in a 2-gallon bucket. Don’t use bleach as it should change the epoxy coloration. By no means use abrasive cleaners since they’ll go away microscopic scratches on the floor.
Required Supplies for Epoxy Countertop Kits
An epoxy equipment is available in a bottle or field with a product that you just apply to your kitchen counter tops per the producer’s instructions.
There are numerous completely different epoxies, however they combine hardener and resin to create a clear, long-lasting strong. As a primary seal, directions name for saturating the countertop materials with a skinny epoxy coating. With this course of, you possibly can keep away from bubble formation as you apply extra coats of epoxy on prime.
- 80- and 220-grit sanding sponge
- 4 x 1-qt. Cups
- 2 x paddle mixers
- Isopropyl alcohol
- 2 gallon buckets (2)
- Trim router
- Plastic sheet
- Spray bottle
- Orbital sander
- Oscillating software
- 2 x 6 inches. 3/8 inches.-nap curler sleeves
- Painters tape
- Wiping cloths
- 6 inch paint curler
Making use of An Epoxy Countertop Equipment
Listed here are the steps to comply with when working with a countertop equipment:
- Use all-purpose physique filler to cowl seams and gaps. You probably have a particle board left uncovered when reducing or routing, be sure to fill it out and easy it as effectively.
- When all these gaps have been stuffed, proceed to sand the floor to ensure every thing is easy. Use 60-grit sandpaper for this course of.
- Tape plastic to the ground beneath the counters. Roll the plastic over the underside fringe of the cupboard, after which tuck it within the toe-kick.
- Have all of your supplies ready as a result of timing is every thing when pouring epoxy. Maintain them helpful in 2 gallon containers.
- This primer is a must have for any epoxy challenge. Combine a few elements right into a small bucket and roll it on the counters. As soon as the previous coloration is gone, apply extra primer.
- The primer ought to treatment for about an hour. To keep away from staining, combine the metallic powder into the spotlight epoxy.
- After about an hour, the primer is cheesy and received’t go away residue on the floor.
- Use a skinny line of leftover epoxy to push the entrance fringe of the counter. As soon as the bottom coat is even, transfer the bottom coat round or add extra epoxy.
- Through the use of a brush and dragging it throughout the highest, you possibly can feather the highlights for a stupendous finish impact.
- The metallic powder and isopropyl alcohol answer give a extra pure look to the epoxy.
- Pay shut consideration to the counters within the upcoming hours and take away any epoxy drips as they happen.
- The following day, put together the counters for the protecting topcoat.
- Combine the two-part coat in a 2 gallon container and apply it to the floor. Roll the coat excessive of the floor. Use the backsplash as your information.
Incessantly Requested Questions (FAQ)FAQ
How A lot Does It Price To Epoxy A Countertop?
Kits designed to cowl your counter tops in epoxy can price between $50 to $250, which implies you will get actually good merchandise for round $150 to $180.
Do Epoxy Counter tops Scratch Simply?
Epoxy is among the most sturdy supplies that you should use for a kitchen countertop. It doesn’t scratch simply until you intend on reducing bread on the counter as a substitute of utilizing a reducing board beneath.
Is Epoxy Good For Counter tops?
Sure, epoxy offers loads of advantages when used as a countertop materials, from its warmth and scratch resistance to the truth that it will probably simply be cleaned.
Are Epoxy Counter tops Cheaper Than Granite?
Epoxy counter tops price round $45 per sq. foot. Granite costs additionally begin at $45, however they’ll go as excessive as $225.
When Can I Use A Stone Coat Countertop Epoxy?
Stone coat countertop epoxy is renewable and designed to resist heavy kitchen and toilet use. The countertop kits have a full treatment time of 30 days, so plan forward earlier than you utilize it.
Epoxy Countertop Equipment Conclusion
With epoxy resin, you possibly can remodel an previous kitchen countertop into a contemporary masterpiece. This materials will final for a few years. It may be used to make a brand new countertop that’s as lovely as actual stone.
Since epoxy has turn into extra prevalent, quite a lot of resins and coloration choices exist.
When deciding on a countertop paint, you’ll need one thing that matches your kitchen. Earlier than you select a countertop equipment, be sure you choose one which received’t conflict with the general theme of your kitchen.
If that is your first time engaged on an epoxy challenge, don’t hesitate to ask for assist. You’ll have to know when to extend amount or lower amount, particularly when working with laminate counter tops.