Options for Optimizing the Area Above Your Fridge
Right here’s a straightforward math downside for you:
- The common kitchen ceiling peak is 96” excessive.
- Most trendy fridges are 84” tall.
- What’s the dimension of the hole between them?
- And extra importantly, what do you do with the house?
Most trendy kitchen home equipment don’t announce themselves. The design development proper now’s for home equipment to look hid and built-in.
The focus of recent kitchens is usually not an equipment, however as an alternative a shocking mild fixture or well-designed kitchen island.
American fridges, nonetheless, at all times buck the development of hid home equipment.
Whereas Europeans choose counter-depth fridges that may be lined with a big cupboard door as seen in sure Italian-style kitchens, American fridges are sometimes a lot greater.
The outcome? They find yourself protruding just like the proverbial sore thumb.
A very good IKEA kitchen designer will soften the look of a cumbersome fridge by enclosing it with a cupboard and aspect panels.
That works properly when your fridge is 70” excessive or much less. However as we stated, many trendy fridges are typically 84” excessive. The house is just too small for full-sized cupboards.
We’ll Design Your Superb IKEA Kitchen Simply, Affordably, and On-line
Our IKEA Kitchen Design Bundle is the whole lot it’s good to full your new kitchen with confidence.
Can IKEA Put the Quick Area Above a Tall Fridge to Work?
After all IKEA can!
It’s tempting to only place a filler above the house. Like this:
Pardon us for saying so, however that’s the simple method out. And IKD by no means misses a chance to create a helpful house in an IKEA kitchen design (however provided that our shoppers agree, after all!).
As a substitute, we suggest making a horizontal cupboard out of an everyday IKEA kitchen cupboard, like this:
These are only a few good causes:
- It’s inexpensive: you solely want a number of IKEA parts with out having to rent a customized cupboard maker or a carpenter. It’s a great factor that IKEA kitchen cupboards don’t come assembled!
- It’s helpful: this supplies storage for giant, skinny gadgets that don’t get used regularly, similar to baking trays, cookie sheets or bigger serving plates.
- It’s trendy: preserve the built-in search for your fridge with out spending extra. You’ve already spent so much in your trendy built-in fridge!
A Nearer Take a look at this IKEA Fridge Cupboard Hack
For the sake of instance, let’s say your ceiling is 100”, somewhat above common. In case your fridge is 84” excessive, that provides you 16” of house left.
That’s good for 10” excessive horizontal cupboard. The additional six inches are for:
- Really helpful filler above horizontal cupboards: 5”
- Wiggle room for uneven ceilings: 1”
Assume these 5” filler inches sound like wasted house? Assume once more. IKEA’s horizontal kitchen cupboards want 5” of house to allow them to open totally.
For those who don’t give the cupboard 5” of house, you received’t be capable of open the door, and that can actually be wasted house.
So, you’ll must take a typical wall cupboard for the fridge and minimize it down from a 15” peak to a ten” peak.
After that, you possibly can merely use a ten” excessive and 36” large drawer entrance as your door. Your cupboard will find yourself trying like this:
Prepared, Set, Go!
You’ll want to chop the again and aspect panels from a 15” peak to a ten” peak earlier than placing the cupboard collectively. Which means the aspect cupboards and again cupboards will go from being 24” large by 15” excessive to 24” large and 10” excessive.